IraqEnglishFrenchKurdish (Kurmanji)Turkish

Marriage And Civil Partnership Visit Visas

Marriage/Civil Partnership visit visas are for Applicants aged 18 or over, who wish to enter the UK as a visitor in order to marry; form a civil partnership, or give notice of either.

Non-European nationals who wish to enter the UK as visitors must have permission to do so unless they are the national of a listed country to which an exemption applies.

When the country exemption applies, an Applicant need only apply for leave to the Immigration Officer at the UK port of entry unless:

(a) visiting the UK to marry or to form a civil partnership (or give notice of this); or

(b) seeking to visit the UK for more than 6 months


An Applicant will need to demonstrate a genuine intention to visit for Marriage/Civil Partnership (or notification) purposes. This means the Applicant:

  • will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and
  • will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home; and
  • is genuinely seeking entry for a purpose that is permitted by the Visitor routes
  • will not undertake any prohibited activities set out in the Visitor routes
  • must have sufficient funds to cover all reasonable costs in relation to their visit without working or accessing public funds. This includes the cost of the return or onward journey, any costs relating to dependants, and the cost of planned activities such as private medical treatment.

Additionally a Marriage/Civil Partnership Applicant will need to demonstrate:

  • an ┬áintention to give notice of marriage or civil partnership; or
  • an intention to marry or form a civil partnership; and
  • no intention to give notice of or enter into a sham marriage or sham civil partnership, within the validity period covered by their visit visa.


Marriage/Civil Partnership visa Applicants and any dependants must demonstrate sufficient funds to cover the all costs associated with travelling to visit either personally or via a third party without relying on public funds.


A Marriage/Civil Partnership visa allows an Applicant to stay in the UK for up to 6 months during its validity.

Separate provisions may apply to Applicants who subsequently become family members of an EEA national exercising Treaty Rights in the United Kingdom.


DESCARTES SOLICITORS is recognised as one of the leading multi-practice firms in the UK. Our specialist immigration team works closely with individuals to apply for a Marriage/Civil Partnership visas. Please contact our lawyers on 0208 995 3556/0844 556 9901 or e-mail